Description of the component
In Grasshopper, Panel objects are a convenient way to create text that is easily editable. However when you upload the model on ShapeDiver, text panels will not be accessible through the control panel. In the example below, the 3d text tags will be visible, but users won't be able to change the text in the viewer.
The ShapeDiver plugin includes a text input component that allows this functionality. When you add a ShapeDiverTextInput component, the plugin creates an additional user-facing parameter that allows one to enter text in the ShapeDiver viewer that is sent as a parameter to the Grasshopper definition. By double-clicking on the component, you can define the default text to display, as well as the maximum length for the strings that can be used:
Engraving and embossing
In the fields of jewelry and furniture, manufacturing techniques such as laser cutting and 3d printing make it possible to use text for engraving or embossing personal message.
Grasshopper doesn't provide out-of-the-box ways to convert text to geometry, but there are two ways to get it done:
- With a script: using the C#, VB or Python components, one can call Rhino SDK functions that can help
- If you're not fond of scripting, several plugins for Grasshopper provide tools to convert text to curves or surfaces. Try the ShapeDiver version of Squid, for example.
The text input can also be used simply as a way to gather some information about the user's needs. The information can be used when exporting data and CAD files from a specific configuration, using the ShapeDiver export components.
- Component name: ShapeDiverTextInput
- Default Nickname: SDTextInput
- Inputs: None
|Text||T||Generates a text input field in the ShapeDiver viewer.||
- Double-click on the component to set a Default value for the text and a maximum length. The maximum length is limited to 10,000 characters.